Mesa Dynamics has released an updated version of Stainless, its lightweight web browser for Mac OS X. The browser borrows Chrome-specific features, but also some unique functions, like parallel sessions and session-aware tabs. The browser runs lightning-fast on any machine under Mac OS X 10.5 or later.
According to the release notes for Stainless 0.6.5, Mesa Dynamics has been busy adding a quartet of enhancements, including a cross-process download manager, the ability to hold and click on back/forward buttons to reveal tab history, bookmark groups (right-click in shelf to create) and even bookmark shelf preferences. The list of fixes incorporated in this release can be found below.
· Fixed: cannot download files that require login credentials.
· Fixed: new windows spawned from menu items or other apps open behind other windows.
· Fixed: URLs with embedded white space result in search.
· Fixed: using back/forward causes tab favicons to be lost (0.6).
· Fixed: ampersands not properly escaped in smartbar searches.
· Fixed: double-click is allowed for new tab, tab close, and bookmark buttons.
· Fixed: opening history window after midnight doesn't update the day filters.
“Although Stainless started out as a technology demo to showcase our own multi-processing architecture in response to Google Chrome, we've been inspired by our growing fanbase to forge ahead and craft Stainless into a full-fledged browser,” Mesa Dynamics says. “In fact, Stainless now has features you won't find in Chrome or in any other browser.”
Stainless is still in development and doesn’t include all the features one would expect from a production-ready browser, Mesa Dynamics adds. As such, users should not entirely rely on Stainless. The developers have also set up a release notes page, where they can track development progress.
Mac owners should also know that Apple has updated its own web browser recently, adding stability improvements, and the latest compatibility and security fixes.
Download Stainless (Free)
Download New and Improved Stainless Web Browser
Version 0.6.5 adds a cross-process download manager and more