Fabio Erculiani announced a couple of days ago the immediate availability of a multimedia center DVD edition, called Lite MCE and based on the newly-released Sabayon Linux 4. The Lite MCE edition of Sabayon 4 is a GNOME-based distribution that offers a "ready to use" version of the powerful and already popular XBMC Media Center, which will allow everyone to transform their computers into a veritable Multimedia Center station. In other words, with Sabayon Linux 4 Lite MCE you can watch your favorite movies and TV shows/channels... out-of-the-box! Sabayon Linux 4 Lite MCE is available for the x86 and x86_64 architectures, featuring Linux kernel 2.6.28 with support for the EXT4 filesystem.
"On the behalf of the Sabayon Linux Team, I am happy to announce the immediate availability of Sabayon Linux 4 "LiteMCE". If you want a simple, effective and multimedia oriented environment, that's the matching flavour! [...] Dedicated to those who like order over chaos, to those who like simplicity over complexity, to those who think that less is more, to those that just want more for less. [...] Show off the new Sabayon Linux to your friends, they have no more excuses to not try it!" - said Fabio Erculiani in the official release announcement.
Highlights of Sabayon Linux 4 LiteMCE:
· Based on Sabayon Linux 4;
· Under 2 GB DVD ISO images;
· GNOME 2.24.2;
· OpenOffice 3.0;
· Media Center Mode - powered by XBMC;
· Linux Kernel 188.8.131.52 (with enhancements from the 2.6.28 version, which is also available via the software repositories);
· Lots of multimedia applications (from DVD ripping and P2P file sharing to audio and video players);
· Entropy Package Manager 0.24.8;
· Ext4, AUFS, NTFS and UnionFS support;
· Input devices and HAL-based GPU detection;
· Support for AMD Catalyst Drivers 8.11 and Open Source RadeonHD video drivers;
· Support for Nvidia 180.11, 173.14.12, 96.43.09 and 71.86.07 video drivers;
· One-click 3D desktop effects.
In order to run Sabayon Linux 4 LiteMCE on your personal computer, make sure that you meet the minimum system requirements:
· Intel Pentium Pro, Celeron, AMD K6-2, Pentium II or Athlon CPU
· 512 MB of RAM
· 16 GB of free hard disk space
· Supported 2D video card
· a DVD reader
However, the Sabayon Linux team recommends the following system requirements for an optimal performance:
· Dual Core Processor (Intel Core 2 Duo or better, AMD Athlon 64 X2 or better)
· 1 GB of RAM
· 32 GB of free hard disk space
· Supported 3D video card (Nvidia, AMD or Intel) for XBMC
· a DVD reader
Sabayon Linux 4 is a Gentoo-powered Linux distribution that offers a very attractive and easy-to-use desktop environment, out-of-the-box support for wireless networks, Adobe's Flash Player, Sun's Java technology, the OpenOffice.org open source office suite, the award-winning Mozilla Firefox and Opera web browsers, Google Earth, Picasa, Adobe Reader, VLC and many, many more popular and useful applications and tools.
Download Sabayon Linux 4 LiteMCE x86/x86_64 right now from Softpedia.
Download Sabayon Linux 4 x86 right now from Softpedia.
Download Sabayon Linux 4 x86_64 right now from Softpedia.