The KDE team has just announced the maintenance release to the KDE 4.5 Software Compilation. KDE SC 4.5.2 is a minor update, focusing on bug fixing and updated translations.KDE SC 4.5.2 is the second in a series of monthly bug fixing releases to the KDE Software Compilation 4.5 series and it brings various translation updates and improvements. Everyone should update their existing KDE SC machines running version 4.5.1 or earlier (see a short tutorial below).
Because it only contains fixes and translation updates, this release will be a pleasant and safe update for everyone. At the moment, KDE SC 4.5 is translated into more than 55 languages.
Highlights of KDE SC 4.5.2:
· KSharedDataCache received some performance and scalability improvements;
· The icons will now load faster than before, because of the new shared data cache;
· Fixed Dolphin's outdated tooltips display issue;
· Fixed some bugs and optimized KWin and the compositing manager.
How to update KDE SC 4.5.2:
Ubuntu 10.10 users can install KDE SC 4.5.2 by following the instructions below:
- Go to Main Menu -> System -> Administration and open the "Software Sources" application. Type your password and hit Enter;
- Go to the second tab, "Other Software," click the 'Add' button and paste the following line:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu maverick main
...and click the 'Add Source' button;
- Go to the "Authentication" tab, click the "Import Key File" button and add this GPG Key (right-click on the link and select "Save Link As" to save the file on your desktop);
- Close the "Software Sources" application and you will be immediately asked if you want to reload the information about available software, so click the 'Reload' button and wait until the "Software Sources" window disappears;
- Go to Main Menu -> System -> Administration and open the "Update Manager" application. Let it load and update your system;
- It is recommended that you reboot your system after the update process.
Softpedia also provides a complete tutorial about How to Install KDE SC 4.5 on Ubuntu 10.04.
The KDE SC 4.5.2 sources can be downloaded right now from Softpedia.