Hot on the heels of last week's announcement regarding the launch of Opera Mobile 10.1 for the Symbian S60 operating system, comes a new announcement from Norwegian software giant Opera, regarding the availability of a Opera Mobile 10.1 beta flavor of the browser for the Maemo platform. The owners of a Nokia N900 or a N810/N800 device can now download and install the solution on their handsets, while enjoying one of the fastest such solutions released for them.
However, some known issues are also present with the solution, including:
- Geolocation may not always update using the most precise source (most commonly, this means it will update using cell tower data instead of GPS)
- Adobe Flash and other plugins are not supported
- Screen tearing may be visible when panning, especially in portrait mode
- The built-in on-screen keyboard is not supported, use the physical keyboard or the on-screen keyboard included with Opera Mobile
- The new panning algorithm is not optimized with regards to page rendering
- Panning may sometimes move at much higher speeds than expected
In case users have had Opera Mobile previously installed on their device, the solution should update automatically via the Application Manager. Those who didn't try the browser on their Maemo devices can download it from Softpedia too, via this link.