Dear Ubuntu 8.04 users, Steve Langasek announced a few minutes ago the fourth maintenance release of the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (Hardy Heron) operating system, which (in case you forgot) is supported with maintenance updates and security fixes until April 2011 on desktops, and April 2013 on servers. Once again, this new maintenance release brings to its dedicated users a lot of security updates and corrections (over 70), all with a single goal: to keep Ubuntu 8.04 LTS a stable and reliable Linux distribution!
"In all, some 70 updates have been integrated, and updated installation media has been provided so that fewer updates will need to be downloaded after installation. These include security updates and corrections for other high-impact bugs, with a focus on maintaining stability and compatibility with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS." - Steve Langasek said in the official release announcement.
Highlights of Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS:
· ISO's contents can now be used on a USB device;
· GRUB can now be installed on JFS partitions;
· Added desktop support for SMB/CIFS shares;
· Fixed a crash in the Mozilla Firefox web browser;
· Added support for the new Yahoo! Messenger protocol in Pidgin;
· In order to eliminate the use of static sentinel, a patch for stack guard randomization, from Intrepid glibc, was added;
· Updated the "daylight savings time" rules for Fiji, Argentina and Bangladesh;
· Fixed an issue with the vblade init script in the server edition;
· Fixed an issue with the freeradius' "reload" action.
For the complete list of changes, please check the official changelog. Existing Ubuntu 8.04.x LTS users can simply upgrade to this new version by running the Update Manager application from the System/Administration menu!
Ubuntu is a Linux distribution for your desktop or server, with a fast and easy install, regular releases, a tight selection of excellent packages installed by default, every other package you can imagine available from the network and professional technical support from Canonical Ltd and hundreds of other companies around the world.
Download Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS (Hardy Heron) right now from Softpedia.