But first, let's take a quick look at the included applications:
· Mozilla Firefox 3.0.3
· OpenOffice.org 2.4.1
· The GIMP 2.6.1
· F-Spot 0.5.0.3
· Pidgin 2.5.1
· Brasero 0.8.2
· Transmission 1.34
· Rhythmbox 0.11.6
· Ekiga 2.0.12
· Evolution 2.24.1
· Nautilus 2.24.1
· Vinagre 2.24.0
Editor's note: A system update is already available for Ubuntu 8.10 RC. It will upgrade Pidgin to version 2.5.2 and GNOME to version 2.24.1.
Editor's note 2: If you want OpenOffice.org 3.0, click here now!
Under the hood:· Kernel 2.6.27-7 (based on Linux kernel 184.108.40.206)
· X.Org 7.4 and X.Org Server 1.5.2 (with automatic configuration for keyboard and mouse)
· Network Manager 0.7 (with 3G wireless support)
· Apache 2.2
· PostgreSQL 8.3
· PHP 5.2.6
· LTSP 5.1
· GCC 4.3.2
· glibc 2.8
· Python 2.5
For the Intrepid Ibex, the development team will prepare an unbelievable desktop, with amazing performance, that will work on mostly any computer (be it a high-end workstation or an old and dusty Pentium III machine). Another major feature planned for Ubuntu 8.10 is the ability to be connected to the Internet (wireless connections) wherever you go. "We want you to be able to move from the office, to the train, and home, staying connected all the way," said Mark Shuttleworth.
In this release candidate, the development team introduces two new tools, the first one being System Cleaner (system-cleaner-gtk), which allows you to find and remove packages that are old or not supported by Ubuntu from the system. System Cleaner can also find different problems on the machine, such as wrong entries in /etc/fstab. The second tool is called "Create a USB startup disk" and it allows you to create a bootable USB stick in case you want to install Ubuntu from USB. Here is the screenshot tour of the release candidate of Ubuntu 8.10:As you can see from the above screenshots, the new Intrepid wallpaper has been added and the theme is still Human (based on the Murrine engine), but a little modified. If you take a closer look, the panels are nicer now (they are transparent). You will also notice that other applications will have the transparent effect!
As I mentioned in the previous screenshot tour, the new GNOME 2.24 desktop brings a lot of fresh and interesting features. Here are a few of them:
· You can now mount archives! What is that? Let's say, for example, that you don't want to extract an archive, you just want to take a peek inside it or to copy just two files from there... with a simple right click on the archive, you can select the “Open with ‘Archive Mounter’” option and voila;
· The system will automatically shut down in 60 seconds if you just hit the shutdown button. I've tested it and the system shuts down in 60 seconds... However, I don't see any reason for this function, except that it's somehow cool;
· Private (encrypted) Directory really works, but you have to work some "magic" in the terminal to set it up!;
· The “Create Archive” window has some new features, such as "Password protection", "Encryption" and "File Splitting";
· The “Extracting files from archive” window has changed, and it will show you in real time what it does;
· New, cool and amazing desktop effects for you to play with!
Here's the release schedule for Intrepid Ibex:
October 30th, 2008 - Final release of Ubuntu 8.10.
About Ubuntu:Ubuntu is a Linux distribution for your desktop or server, with a fast and easy install, regular releases, a tight selection of excellent applications installed by default, every other package you can imagine available, network and professional technical support from Canonical Ltd and hundreds of other companies in the world.
Remember that this is a beta release and it should NOT be installed on production machines. It is intended to be used for testing purposes only. Please report bugs to the Ubuntu Bug Tracker.
Download Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) RC right now from Softpedia.
Download Kubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) RC right now from Softpedia.
Download Xubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) RC right now from Softpedia.
Download Edubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) RC right now from Softpedia.
Download MythBuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) RC right now from Softpedia.
Download Ubuntu Studio 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) RC right now from Softpedia.